The Taking Responsibility Programme (TRP) is about helping
students make quality choices and learn self-control. This has many
positive spin-offs for students and school including:
- a positive school/classroom climate
- friendly, respectful relationships with others
- the ability for students to think before acting
- a safe environment
- the ability to self-regulate behaviour
- more on-task, purposeful learning experiences resulting in more
TRP is based on students accumulating points as a consequence of
their behaviour. Inappropriate behaviour attracts 'inappropriate points'.
The type of behaviour that is unacceptable is clearly stated and students
are involved in deciding how many points different behaviours will attract.
Taking part in TRP involves completing worksheets which encourages
students to reflect on their behaviour and to consider why and how they
could avoid repeating it.
Book 1 introduces the whole TRP idea in detail while Book 2 provides
further worksheets. A complementary reward system, SRP (Showing
Responsibility Programme) is also outlined in Book 1.